By Matthew Dabros
Citizens, reporters, and watchdog organisations declare that U.S. Congress contributors serve detailed curiosity teams in go back for profitable jobs in when they depart office—and that those legislators turn into lax of their ultimate time period of place of work as they're not pressured via elections to supply caliber illustration to voters. This booklet investigates the veracity of those claims.
• deals a well timed and fact-based viewpoint at the dating among legislators and targeted curiosity agencies, one within which designated pursuits constrain—not exploit—lawmakers' opportunistic proclivities
• files how the phobia of reduced post-office employment possibilities compels legislators to provide caliber illustration instead of succumb to opportunism within the ultimate time period of officeholding and within the absence of electoral constraints
• unearths that post-Congressional careers entail greater than simply lobbying via an up to date accounting of the occupation judgements of just about each senator and consultant who left workplace among 2001 and 2011
• Investigates and identifies the most important components that recommended legislators to stay in public provider, absorb a occupation in lobbying or somewhere else within the inner most region, or retire from paintings altogether
Read or Download Careers after Congress: Do Jobseeking Legislators Shortchange Constituents? PDF
Similar government books
An advent to faith and Politics bargains a entire evaluation of the various theories of faith and politics, and gives scholars with an available yet in-depth account of the main major debates, matters and methodologies. Fox examines the ways that faith impacts politics, analyses the present key concerns and gives a cutting-edge account of faith and politics, highlighting the variety in nation faith guidelines all over the world.
Whereas the eu Union (EU) is broadly perceived as a version for local integration, the encouragement of local co-operation additionally ranks excessive between its overseas coverage priorities. Drawing on a wealth of assets and huge fieldwork performed within the Commonwealth of self sufficient States (CIS), Laure Delcour questions the pursuit of this exterior goal in ecu guidelines carried out within the CIS and the life of an ecu local imaginative and prescient within the post-Soviet region.
This number of non-partisan reviews written by means of award-winning CQ Researcher newshounds specializes in provocative present coverage matters. As an annual e-book that comes jointly simply months earlier than it is going to press, the amount is all new and as up to date as attainable. and since it’s CQ Researcher, the coverage stories are expertly researched and written, displaying either side of a topic.
The surest for Congress classes for over 30 yearsCongress and Its participants, 16th version, via Roger H. Davidson, Walter J. Oleszek, Frances E. Lee, and Eric Schickler, deals readers present, entire assurance of Congress and the legislative procedure by way of reading the strain among Congress as a lawmaking establishment and as a set of politicians regularly seeking re-election.
- Decision Making Within International Organisations (Routledge/ECPR Studies in European Political Science)
- Reorganizing the Joint Chiefs of Staff: The Goldwater-Nichols Act of 1986 (Contributions in Military Studies)
- Handbook of Research on Urban Politics and Policy in the United States (Handbook of Research on Urban Politics & Policy in the Unite)
- A Very British Affair: Six Britons and the Development of Time Series Analysis During the 20th Century (Palgrave Advanced Texts in Econometrics)
- Intra-Party Politics and Coalition Governments (Routledge/ECPR Studies in European Political Science)
Additional resources for Careers after Congress: Do Jobseeking Legislators Shortchange Constituents?
Careers after Congress: Do Jobseeking Legislators Shortchange Constituents? by Matthew Dabros